Monday, May 23, 2011

An Open Letter To James Cameron

Mr. Cameron:
I just wanted to tell you that I thought the movie Avatar was a fascinating blend of fantasy, adventure, and spirituality. Avatar was clearly a financial success and it clearly stated that the issues you spoke to in the movie resonated with a large number of people in all cultures around the world. I hope that you found it rewarding to produce this movie and I hope that as you ponder new movies you will remember the things that worked in this movie.

As I was reading about your film history I noticed that you did a TV special “The Exodus Decoded”. This special would indicate that you have spent a considerable time in Bible study, especially in Exodus and the Old Testament writings. In addition, your use of Bible symbolism in Avatar would indicate that you have spent a significant amount of time in the prophetic portions of the Bible like Daniel and Revelation as well. Assuming that my observations are correct it leads me to ask you a question. The question is since you are intrigued by the Bible, and your spiritual gift appears to be that of making movies, and doing it very well, then why don’t you make a movie about the real things of life and do IT very well?

It seems to me that you are clearly financially set now so that if you chose to produce a “real” movie you would not be in danger of losing your financial footing in life. A “real” movie might endanger your position in the Hollywood community but you seem to be strong enough to deal with that kind of adversity if you chose to. So I wonder if you have read enough of the “real” to give you an experience like Jake Sully had in the movie Avatar? When God calls you would you be willing to move to a different world to have that experience with Him and undergo the rebirth that you told about in Avatar?

Since I had these questions I thought I would write them to you, at least on the internet. I am acquainted with a series of books, that you may or may not have been exposed to which tells the Bible story in such a manner that you might enjoy them. The parts of the books which I think you would especially like are the expanded scenes of heaven where Jesus and Lucifer interacted before sin came into the picture. I think you would find the interactions of war in heaven fascinating because you have depicted those interactions so well in your movies, for as the Bible says in Ecclesiastes 1:9 “…there is no new thing under the sun.”

If you are interested in those stories I would like to connect you to those books written by a lady by the name of Ellen G. White. She wrote a five book series covering the Bible from before the fall of Lucifer until the final resolution of sin and the recreation of Earth. The five books are:
Patriarchs and Prophets – from the fall of Lucifer to King David
http://www.whiteestate.org/books/pp/pp.asp
Prophets and Kings – from King Solomon down to the time of the return of Israel from Babylon
http://www.whiteestate.org/books/pk/pk.asp
The Desire of Ages – tells about the life of Christ and is of course at the center of the five books.
http://www.whiteestate.org/books/da/da.asp
The Acts of the Apostles – Tells the story of the followers of Jesus from His ascension into heaven unto the Destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.
http://www.whiteestate.org/books/aa/aa.asp
The Great Controversy – the story of God’s people from the Destruction of Jerusalem to the Second Coming of Christ, the Millennium, the final judgment of evil, and the recreation of the Earth.
http://www.whiteestate.org/books/gc/gc.asp

I hope that if you read them you will find them as exciting as I did and that they will be a blessing to you as they were to me.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to these thoughts and I hope that you will take these thoughts seriously.

In Christ Jesus
Greg Goodchild

No comments:

Post a Comment